Be a Godparent
Steps to be a Godparent
- Read the qualifications for a Baptism Godparent below
- Print out the Baptismal Godparent Form <------- Click
- Bring form to parish office along with the address of the church parish it is to be mailed to.
- Pray for your godchild
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A BAPTISM GODPARENT
Canons 873 and 874 (below) of the 1983 Code of Canon Law deal with the requirements of baptismal sponsors.
“Canon 874: §1. To be admitted to the role of sponsor, a person must:
- Be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the one who takes their place or, in their absence, by the pastor or minister and is to have the qualifications and intention of performing this role;
- Have completed the sixteenth year, unless a different age has been established by the diocesan bishop or it seems to the pastor or minister that an exception is to be made for a just cause;
- Be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the Faith and the role to be undertaken;
- Not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared; 5. Not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.”
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A CONFIRMATION SPONSOR
The qualifications for a confirmation sponsor (canon 893) are the same as those for a baptismal sponsor (see above) plus:
- It is desirable that the one who undertook the role of sponsor at baptism be the sponsor for confirmation.
- A non-Catholic may NOT be a confirmation sponsor. • Parents, though they may not be the confirmation sponsor, may certainly present their children for confirmation.